It’s Occupational Safety & Health Week. And while you can’t wrap your employees in bubble wrap, you can still help better protect them.
According to the Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) ‘unhealthy, unsafe and stressful workplaces are costing Canadian employers billions of dollars annually’ through employee absences, workplace accidents, illnesses, long and short term disability, insurance claims, and more. But with an effective and well maintained Health & Safety Program, companies can look forward to improved productivity, employee engagement and satisfaction, and an increase in overall profit. (source)
In order to develop a proper and effective Health & Safety Program, the WSPS outlines three elements that must work together to create and maintain a safe and health work environment:
- The Physical Environment: addressing “traditional” health and safety legislation requirements
- Personal Health Resources: supporting healthy lifestyle practices
- The Organizational Culture: creating the right psychosocial work environment
If you don’t have a Health & Safety Program in place, or haven’t reviewed your program yet this year, the WSPS provides great tools and resources to help get your company and employees on the right track to a safer and healthier work environment.
Stock up on the right supplies and tools to keep your employees safe:
- Keep first aid kits fully stocked: Shop first aid supplies
- Give your employees access to the right personal protection equipment: Shop PPE gear
North American Occupational Safety & Health Week runs May 3 to May 9, 2015. The goal is to focus employers, employees, partners and the public on the importance of preventing injury and illness in the workplace, at home and in the community.